Friday, November 23, 2007

migration


it has been raining a long time... for days even. i woke up this morning at 7am and the sky never got brighter. the heavens have alternated between night and dusk, skipping day entirely since tuesday. if i didn't turn on a light, every room in my house would remain black and obscured.

but lights have been on, in every room, and i've been working. i've been separating my things, my belongings, into those-that-will-accompany-me and those-that-will-not. with the vast majority belonging to the latter.

i am saying my own little goodbyes to books that i won't read for a year... to furniture... to surfboards... to a very lovable couch. i am segregating the inhabitants of my kitchen into two groups... half the glasses to go with me... half to go into storage. all the knives. all the pots and pans. all the spoons... i couldn't manage without spoons.

it is challenging to pack your things while you still want to live with them. there is a small tear of separation when you unplug something you use everyday and you know it'll be two months before you plug it in again. it is a guilty and dependent kind of sensation, because you know there is no reason why you NEED that particular thing every day... but you do not welcome the daily pattern change with open arms.

how much easier it would be if i could just put it all aside and read a book until the movers come. oh but i can, and that is what will happen, but for now there is the slow and procrastinated measure of steps downstairs with each armload of sundries that will find it's way either into my new home, or else the cold purgatory of storage.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey dude, when you leave...please take this blog with you.

I meant that in a good way.

kidnoonan said...

:)

that, jennie, is one thing i can guarantee. stay tuned for adventures in california and even farther to the west... so far in fact, that it becomes the east again.

Crystal C said...

Heeey, I know that fridge! And that floor! And those feet! Love it! Hope it´s finally stopped raining...

kidnoonan said...

it has indeed stopped raining. i thought i saw the sun earlier, but it was just a reflection on my window. i should still be packing, but i wouldn't be able to call myself a procrastinator if i didn't procrastinate until the very last minute... would i?

Sandy said...

that's my boy!! I hoped that i had passed on the p-gene and apparently...yes. keep up the great ...procrastination..it helps.

love you loads! yer ma

kidnoonan said...

thanks ma.
:)