Saturday, January 19, 2008

2008

something for the new year:

for one, my resolution. everyone makes resolutions. even if you don't sit down and hold up a drink on new years eve and say, 'this year i resolve to...', you still make them.

my resolution this year is a new one. it encompasses many different facets of my life. it was suggested to me by a close friend and i have chosen to take it up as my own..

this year i resolve to reduce drag... to live a low drag life.

by that i mean that i want to reduce things that stick out in my life. i want to lay aside those things that weigh me down: if there are dishes, they will be cleaned instead of just laid on the counter. if there is laundry, it will be washed often. if there is clutter, it will be tidied. if there is a lack of energy, i will go to the gym. if there is something on my plate, it will be taken care of early, instead of being steeped in the guilty stress of procrastination. if something needs to be done, i will do it.

in addition, this means that i will not play games. scrabble and parcheesi, yes... social political games no. i will be clear in what i want, so that i do not confuse myself by striving for what someone else wants for me just because it seems like it would keep doors open. i will focus on the path that is mine and not be apologetic. i will own it. i will live out of purpose instead of fear. i will live in action instead of reaction.

if i was an arrow, and i was to find my target and pierce it... i would have to point at it. i would have to shut out distractions. i would have to calm my breathing. i would have to steady my pulse. i would have to extend my very point out across space to the place where i wished to be... before i ever even left the string of the bow.

i will strive to live freely in a streamlined and conscious manner.

i resolve to live a low drag life.

*whoosh*

1 comment:

Greg said...

That is a fantastic resolution, if you don't mind I'll steal it. I've been stuck behind the power curve for a while now, losing some drag should take care of it nicely.

Greg