Thursday, April 26, 2007

where would you rather be right now?

it's an interesting question. first of all, it implies that you would rather be somewhere else. while this may be true, it also infers that you find yourself in a less than desirable situation, which is not always the case when a person asks you this question. generally it all amounts to focusing on the bad parts of where you are and the good parts of where you aren't.

while it may not make sense to focus on the bad parts of where you aren't, although that might be helpful sometimes, it is generally more constructive to concentrate on the good things of where you are, as small and delicate as they may seem.

aside from the philosophical and chi-related ramifications of asking such a question, it is a good question that a friend asked me recently, albeit somewhat off-handedly.

my first answer was 'with friends and family.' that was fairly easy. that is most definitely where i am-not right now. while my parents, sister, and i may all have strong personalities that cause a modicum of tension when we are all together for an extended period of time, i love being around them. my parents have both been an example, whether they have wanted to be or not, in just about every aspect of my life. as has my sister. as has my cousin elijah. to different extents, they are people that i admire and wish to emulate. why wouldn't i want to be closer to them?

then there is my friends. heather, fairlight, kate, sage, micah, crystal, nick, jeff, angela, and rebecca, to name a few. they have always been there with a patient open ear and a couch if needed. they are my net, and i can only hope that i give the as much support as they give me. it is priceless, intangible, and ever appreciated.

which brings me to my second answer: california.

i haven't been there more than a few days at a time for years, but i still feel like i'm washing the sand of it's beaches out of my ears. i'm sure there is still a little bit of seawater hidden up in one of the upper reaches of my sinuses. it is in my blood, my lungs, and my soul.

when i walked away from california, i wasn't quite sure where the path would take me. i'm surprised where i have gone so far, but i truly wonder how many other places that path will lead me before i end up back there. i am a believer in the road less traveled. i am a believer in forging a path of your own, of creating a unique life and living it for all you're worth. the funny thing about constantly wandering off the path, in search of something unknown and intangible, is that you will never know where you are until you look back. even then, it could be a mystery. another thing about wandering without a map is that people tend to walk in circles. that's fine for me. as long as my circle ends up in california, and as long as i can fill my bag with experiences along the way.

my third answer was the darkroom.

this answer is more symbolic than anything. it represents a place in my life where i am consumed with creation. it represents a place where i have the freedom to spend my time working on images and symbols. it represents the place in me that the artist lives. it represents minimalism and focus. it represents purpose and drive. it represents personal love of expression.

my fourth answer was surfing. i would rather be surfing.




Hanalei

No comments: