Friday, October 26, 2007

reunion

there is something about being home that slackens the belt around my heart and lets the air back in. it’s a golden soft feeling that warms the skin from the inside.

i walked through the door today to a home that wrapped it’s walls around me and hugged me like an old friend. it was cold inside and out. since i had left the clouds had moved in and continually dusted the mountains with early winter frosting. the power had gone out, but thankfully i had the forethought to clean out my fridge before leaving, so even the kitchen smelled clean.

it’s been raining since i landed back on italian soil and it seems like each drop is on a mission to penetrate and permeate every layer of warmth a person could wear. the rain is cold and the sky is a leaded grey. i got inside and turned on the heat after i realized i could see my breath better inside than out. i have no idea how any of my plants survived. they are obviously hearty little greenies, and the artificial drought must have made possible their survival through near freezing temperatures. sure, there are some leaves on the floor, and Fozzie the fern looks like he has been living in a methlab, but overall there aren’t any in critical condition.

there was mail waiting for me. a card from heather, some movies, more grad school catalogs, convenience checks, and a replacement pizza stone for the broken one i received two months ago... the replacement stone was also... broken... although less broken (if that’s a saying) than the first, having a smaller corner broken off. so there’s progress at least.

the speakers in my house welcomed me the loudest with some ‘iron and wine’ to listen to over the rain. i walked through the rooms and turned on all the lights. i sat on all the chairs and visited all the plants. i ran the faucets until warm water came out. i put fresh vegetables in the fridge... three carrots, celery, two peppers (one orange and one red), asparagus, broccoli, and a somewhat jovial portabello.

so now my home is warm, my heart is home, and you are all in my heart.

welcome

No comments: