Tuesday, June 03, 2008

shells

Shell hunting


there were some shells down by the sea
but they all looked the same to me
my feet were wet, my skin was burned
the sun had set, the whitecaps churned

then at my feet was one unique
and modest shell that seemed to speak
into my soul, into my ear
in one small voice that i could hear

i am like you, it said to me
i spend all day down by the sea
and i look up, while you look down
we both see sameness all around

but don't be sad with empty hands,
or pockets full of dripping sands,
for in the search it matters not
just what you find: it's how it's sought



2 comments:

Sandy said...

you make me smile!! love you!!

a work in progress said...

Oooooooh! I love this little poem and I'm completely enamored of the photo. And guess what? You did this post on my 40th birthday! So I'm taking it as a birthday present :) Isn't that selfish of me--well I'll take it as a present and then I'll give it back to you for display purposes. A plaque should read, "This poem and photo displayed through the generous donation of Elijah Shannon Selby."

I love you.