Wednesday, January 24, 2007

integrally obsolete

i am an overspecialized memory.

i am the cd you bought years ago because i was popular at the time and you listened to me a hundred times, but not anymore. i sit stacked on your bookshelf or in your cd case next to Bel Biv Devoe or David Bowie.

 

you know exactly what i sound like. you know exactly what part of your life i remind you of, and that time is not now. i don't fit.

 

you've tried to put me in the player on one of those days when you were feeling nostalgic, perhaps to impress someone with the breadth and diversity of your music collection... only to get part way into the first song and realize it was a mistake... i don't fit... you'd be much better off with some hooverphonic or kate earl or ekova. i'm a old emotion that you've outgrown; lacking the complexity of the life you've created, i no longer apply.

 

but you hold onto me. i stay there in your collection. another ring in your musical tree trunk... another layer that was once your skin that you wore, but that now is just another hidden layer above your core.

 

my purpose no longer to sing, but to remind and support... silently.

5 comments:

The Mommy said...

Like Ben Harper, Love & Rockets, The Cure or Coldplay, I have every album, visit them lovingly to be reminded, indulged and inspired all over again. I love the way y'all continually reinvent yourselves- giving me the sound I look forward to hearing, all with new notes, new grooves. Consistantly fabulous. You are no one hit wonder.

Anonymous said...

Keep singing! the music resonates eternally in the souls that have met you but cant physically be with you. Once a fan always a fan, with poetry and notes that cant collect dust on a shelf or are returned to merely for comfort. The harmony and vibration are so magnetic and brilliant that once heard, are soaked up and breathed into the hearts of fans everywhere. The album plays incessantly in the subconcious, and brings new discovery to the complexities, beauty and passion of its poetry every time the volume is turned up to conciousness...im humming your tune right now and my heart is heavy with missing you

Anonymous said...

from your sis

a work in progress said...

My dearest cousin, you are so beautiful. And I'll tell you what, I am one of those people that has my favorites and continually play them over and over and over...and over...much to the dismay of those around me. I know that you are a rock of support in my life and the lives of so many others. I hope I am that for you, too. You deserve only the tenderest loving care.

Anonymous said...

Your song cannot be shelved as it resonates through those who love you. I am humbled as I hear the melody roll through my mind and my memory. Love you and miss you...keep singing for I too am one of those who play my favorites over and over....