Monday, November 27, 2006

the easy way

i rarely do things the easy way, and i'm coming to realize that it is because i enjoy difficulty and struggle. not necessarily overwhelmingly so, but a little discomfort and small obstacles on a regular basis is rather comforting tp me in some strange way. call it the bohemian part of me that enjoyed sleeping in my truck (when i had one) and who prefers to start on a cross country drive without a map. call it the search for seasoning and perspective that led me from the path of art, creation, and imagination into my present and most disparate occupation for a while. i enjoy wanting and yearning. i love the pure joy of being reunited with friends and family, and in it's anticipation, i love the sting of distance and time between us.


if i were to universalize my feelings about being an artist to encompass all artists, i would say that the balancing of bitter and sweet is the greatest struggle.

i would say that i love a splintery chair, because it reminds me of how much i love to stand.



1 comment:

a work in progress said...

This post is making me way too introspective at a late hour when I should be falling asleep. I don't mind the razor's edge between pleasure and pain...walking it seems to be the joy of life...but dang it, I hate getting splinters in my ass when I fall off the razor and sit down in that dang chair!!!