Sunday, November 26, 2006

if i were a tree...

when there was water, i would want it to come in driving rains carried on cold bitter gusty winds. when there was sun, i would want it to bake down on to my branches and try to pull the moisture out of my bones. when there was autumn, i would hold onto my leaves as long as i could and i would laugh at the winds and the storms. when there was winter, i would want to feel the weight of the snow on my naked branches until i feared they would snap. when there was spring, i would painfully thrust out green shoots into the air and unfurl them until i was exhausted. when there was summer, i would stretch up into the air and sing to the clouds. i would yell their names and cry that i could not be with them, my friends. when there was night, i would sleep and dream, leaning into my weight and creaking down into the core of the earth.



Mezzomonte

2 comments:

The Mommy said...

Oh paddy... there you are. I've found you. Planted in a field somewhere far away, dormant, absorbing, retaining nutrients and water. Little sprouts growing out around your trunk, little nubs of green on your branches, waiting for spring when your leaves will unfold, and blossoms will explode from every twig, showing the world your true beauty. I wish that I could water you, and dapple fertilizer around your roots.
Beautiful- thank you for sharing it with me.

kidnoonan said...

yay, you found me. it feels like far too long between good friends nowadays. i'm excited about your own blog. that's one thing i always remember about you fair... your polaroid-a-day. it's something i wish i was better at emulating. i no longer sleep next to my camera and due to a few "photo restrictions" at work, it's a constant challenge to have it on hand all the time. i can't wait to meet Zoe, hopefully someday soon. talk to you soon!