Friday, April 25, 2008

drinking and devising

ah time for the drunken free write... oh so dangerous:

one never knows what one may reveal after a long week at work and a six pack of beers topped off with a white russian of the upmost caliber... if you don't know, i make a MEAN white russian... they taste more like vanilla ice cream than any sort of beverage. you should be so lucky as to taste one.

tonight was group movie night... unofficially... we watched 3:10 to Yuma, which is an interesting western... it left me feeling more for the 'villian' than for the main character... which is a little disappointing. it actually makes me rethink who the protagonist is in the first place.... more storytime and back plot is given to the 'good' guy, but the denoument seems to hinge more on the 'villian,' so there is a little bit of conflict there.

last night we watched Superbad... which was entertaining in it's own right... a little bit offensive perhaps, but entertaining nonetheless... definitely reminiscent of the shallowness and disconnectedness of high school.

a lot of people liked high school... they think of it as their wonder years... they have fond memories and continue to identify with their social status as it was formed in grade 9.

personally, i thought high school sucked. ever since i was a freshman, i couldn't wait to get to college. really i didn't care where that college was, as long as there were dorm pranks, since that is the 'college experience' that was introduced to me in freshman english by a substitute teacher, who thought that college was truly the time for a person to come into their own....

in the end... he was right... it was glorious.

wow... if any of that makes any sense... it is the result of pure luck.

peace

4 comments:

a work in progress said...

Dang! You've been posting! I only had time to read this post...on my way to the Boston airport from Providence, RI. I should be packing but I'm reading your blog instead, and that, my friend, feels like a very good use of my time :) This entry makes allllllll kinds of sense, so I guess you (or I) have extra good luck! xoxox E

summer said...

i sure could go for a delicious white russian right now. alas.

college was glorious, wasn't it? jules & i went back to ucsc a couple of weeks ago. we saw that mural you made and thought of you. we hung out at the Hungry Slug while Angel made us the most delicious quesadillas known to man (the very same you remember). i hadn't seen him in 6 years, at least. santa cruz is also glorious, though just not the same without the jahva house.

so kyle and i are now officially engaged! i guess he decided to make an honest woman of me when we decided to put an offer on a house. crikey! tristan is so happy to get to have kyle as a dad.

california is beautiful right now. wish you were here. really.

•kime• said...

I have a feeling you might need to make me a White Russian the next time we meet.

I've always felt that high school paves the way of who we can become but it doesn't bring us into our own until college (as long as the college supports and nurtures this growth). I'm happy to know that Santa Cruz was that environment for many of us and that it shaped us into the adults that we are today (I still use the term "adult" loosely though). I miss those carefree days but cherish the memories and the people that I met! Love you!!!

kidnoonan said...

you're on... white russians it is. i love you too.